The Quality Teachers, Staff, and Schools Measure is a parcel tax measure that has been placed on the March 3, 2020, Primary Election ballot by a unanimous vote of the Burbank Board of Education. The measure is a tax and requires 2/3rds (66.67%) support in order to pass.
If passed, the measure would assess a $.10 per square foot tax on improved commercial and residential property per year. The measure would go into effect July 1, 2020, and will sunset in 12 years.
The measure would generate approximately $9.1 million annually and funds would be utilized in the following areas. Expenditures caps are included in the measure and cannot exceed the limits set forth below:
* Attract and Retain Quality Teachers and Staff (42-47%)
* Maintain Low Class Sizes (2-7%)
* Maintain and Expand Career and College Courses, Art, Music, Science and Innovative Programs (38-42%)
* Maintain and Increase Safety and Wellness Supports (9-13%)
The parcel tax provides exemptions for individuals meeting any of the following requirements:
* Any parcel owned and occupied by a person 65 years of age or older
* Any parcel owned and occupied as a principal residence by one or more persons receiving supplemental social security income for a disability, regardless of age, or social security disability insurance benefits, whose yearly income does not exceed 250 percent of the 2012 federal poverty guidelines.
Those seeking an exemption would be required to fill out and submit an application to the district. Samples of the applications are available below. Once approved, exemptions are carried forward throughout the duration of the tax and do not require supplemental applications or approvals.
Oversight and Accountability
The Quality Teachers, Staff, and Schools Measure has built-in accountability measures to ensure transparency:
* The measure requires that a citizens committee be formed to ensure that funds are being spent in compliance with the terms and caps set forth in the measure.
* Parcel tax funds will go through annual performance audits and financial audits
* The Superintendent will produce an annual report on all parcel tax expenditures
* The measure includes a sunset clause that will automatically end the tax in 12 years unless extended by the voters.
Below you can find links to the official ballot measure resolution passed by the Burbank Board of Education which establishes the structure and terms of the tax.
Questions about the measure? Visit our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ’s) page or email us at Info@YesforBurbankSchools.com